Wednesday 22 October 2014

Ouija (2014) - New Halloween Horror Preview

Today I'm going to compile a quick review on a horror which I am rather attracted to after watching several trailers. It has not released yet either in the UK or the US and the dates of release is as follows:

  • USA - 24/10/2014
  • UK - 31/10/2014
You guys might be thinking "Oh great, another ridiculous modern horror to exacerbate the horror genre!"
I don't blame you guys but after watching the trailer, I have some decent expectations of it. The plot itself reminds me of one of the best films I have seen in my childhood - Jumanji (1995). I don't know how many of you guys have seen Jumanji, but it's a true masterpiece to me. Simply about the everlasting connection with a bizarre board game in which elements within the game "come to life". Watch it, and you'll have a rough idea of what I mean if you watch the trailer for Ouija.

The film is estimated to have a running time of 89 minutes which is fairly adequate to me, and is directed by Stiles White. The plot to this film is pretty straight forward - A girl is mysteriously killed after recording herself playing with an ancient Ouija Board, which leads to a close group of friends to investigate this board. They later find out that some things aren't meant to be played with, especially the 'other side'.

Similarly to Jumanji, where some kids start a board game where some elements come to life and they face minor consequences, this film starts with obviously a rather thrilling introduction since it's a horror, and a poor girl is killed after playing with a Ouija Board. Furthermore, the plot details that a group of friends investigate it further to face severe consequences - being exactly identical to Jumanji. The reason why I am previewing this is to point out the similarity. I would normally be really disappointed to see a horror being released with a mirrored plot to a previous film. However, since Jumanji is not a horror I'm okay with the idea, and I'm actually really looking forward to the out turn of the film. Although, I do hope it isn't full of ridiculous and over-used possessions with spirits and the devil as every other modern horror does.

Overall, I do believe this film could be promising. Especially since it is very close to being identical to one of my favourite childhood "ordinary" films, and it is different to any other horror you would see. Hopefully, it will be a positive icon in the modern horror era, rather than a disgrace, as the majority of other horrors are. I'm definitely going to see it for Halloween anyway! What do you think of it guys? 

No comments:

Post a Comment