Wednesday 19 November 2014

War Of The Worlds (2005) - decent sci-fi thriller

I have always adored this film since the first time I seen it. I remember when I first watched it - I was absolutely terrified, being only a young boy, and I had a pillow in front of my face for the majority of the film. It's quite funny actually when I think about it. Although, I've seen it several times since then and I must admit, it's a really good thriller in my opinion.
First, the film starts off with intense jump scares, to be developed into a film with an eerie atmosphere full of silence. The dynamics within the film are simply magnificent, including the plot in my opinion. Here's what it earned on a few websites:

  • IMDB - 6.5/10
  • Meta Critic - 73%
  • Rotten Tomatoes - 74%
Believe it or not, this film actually earns almost identical scores on Meta Critic and Rotten Tomatoes as Interstellar which I went to see at the weekend, and thought it was simply unbelievable. This proves that although it's obviously not as good as it, it actually is a really good film.

It is directed by Steven Spielberg (well known for Saving Private Ryan (1998) and Schindler's List (1993)), and lasts roughly around 116 minutes. Ray Ferrier (Tom Cruise) is a divorced dockworker and less-than-perfect father. When his ex-wife and her new husband drop off his teenage son Robbie (Justin Chatwin) and young daughter Rachel (Dakota Fanning) for a rare weekend visit, a strange and powerful lightning storm suddenly touches down. What follows is the extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family fighting to survive it in this contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells' seminal classic sci-fi thriller. The plot is much unexpected in my opinion - a lightning storm causing the literal uprising of alien machines from underground, attempting to wipe the whole of humanity. However, it is really good, and also shocking to see which is what I love about it. The general footage actually makes you feel emotional.

I feel the plot is very intriguing and different to what we have ever heard of in the past except from the fact it is a remake from 1953. I haven't seen the original myself; however I absolutely loved this film. From the start of the lightning storm there are sequences of lightning strikes which cause the machine to rise from underground. Not only do the jump scares of the lightning cause you to feel tense and nervous, but the general fear of every single human being in the city causes us to be sitting on the edge of our seats. Once the film reaches about the half way point, the family become deserted out in the countryside where the eerie atmosphere begins. It is a fantastic film to provide an example of how silent atmospheres are executed and there is one scene in particular I absolutely loved which is when they stay overnight in the basement of the house nice and peacefully, only until some weird alien creeps in.

Although the film is truly remarkable for me, I feel as though a lot of it is expected after the machines actually take full effect on the US citizens. Also, although there is a mysterious element to the rise of the machines, I think it is a little bit unrealistic for them to have been underground all the time they were, and to be woken by some simple flashes of lightning. However, apart from these minor weaknesses, I feel there is nothing else with the film. Although, you horror fans may not be happy to know that I wouldn't consider it as a horror. More than anything, it would be a sci-fi thriller; however it certainly contains scary moments!

Overall, I simply cannot deny that this film is a masterpiece. It has been one of my favourite films since my childhood and so I knew I couldn't write about films and leave this one out whether it's a horror or not. As above, I have already said there are a lot of good scary moments, and certainly jump scares for all of you who love them. Please give this film a watch guys, because it is highly recommended!

Overall Rating - 7.8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment